Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Disney, I Feel We Misunderstand Each Other.

Come back, Disney. I miss you.

Many films Disney is/will be coming out will have left me with an "I'm not sure how I feel about this," reaction. Take, for instance, the re-release of Beauty and the Beast, scheduled for 2010. Disney felt the need to convert that film into 3D. I know they've been working on this for some time, but it still unnerves me slightly On the one hand, I can see the updated film being interesting to look at. But on the other, more sensible hand, I don't get it. OK, so the executives want to gain fans from a new generation. That's commendable. It would also be cool to see the song and dance numbers jump out at me. Still, I like it when some films are allowed to stay the way they are. I loved seeing the flat drawings move. Watching Glen Keane's pencil tests alone requires me to keep a pulley handy for picking my jaw up from the floor. Maybe I'm just really old fashioned. Knowing me, once I actually see it, I'll end up giving a standing ovation or something equally obnoxious in the theater.

Then there is the live action release of The Sorcerer's Apprentice. I'll admit, I am a fan of Nicolas Cage. I am also a fan of classic animation being updated once in a blue moon, depending on what it is and what it's being made into. Unfortunately, I don't know if I like these two things together. Like the comedian Jim Gaffigan says, it's like fruit cake. Fruit is good, and cake is delicious, so these two things should taste amazing together. But they don't. I guess I can't judge the film just yet, and I have a small feeling it'll be better than I think, but I'll just wait and see.

I feel like we're in a bad relationship, Disney. We're drifting apart, and that makes me sad.

In other news, I've been busy with animation and commission work. Yes, I do commissions. I mostly do graphite or ink drawings, but if you want something specific done, email me and I'd be happy to work something out.

As for animation, I have another anticlimactic screencap (that looks freakishly similar to the one from when I first started this little film). Huzzah!


The desktop background this time is from the webcomic Multiplex.

2 comments:

  1. Aren't you EXCITED for the Anne Frank one?!!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, really excited...if it's done well, then I guess I can't complain. Until then, I'll remain skeptical.

    ReplyDelete