Thursday, August 20, 2009

Frayed Kanye

I'm sitting here, eating homemade strawberry-peach bread, contemplating my senior thesis. Again. Senior year starts in a couple of weeks, and I am simultaneously pumped and in severe denial.

On to more pleasant - yet still animation related - thoughts.

The musical group The Fray released a video for their cover of Kanye West's "Heartless." Both videos have strong and weak points, but something about animation happening in the real world holds a special place in my heart.


The FRAY - Heartless from IE HAGY on Vimeo.


Kanye even makes a cameo in The Fray's version (he's the adorable little guy bobbing his head with those signature glasses on).

Of course, there's talk of The Fray's version looking just like a video the group Café Tacvba, called "Eres." I've seen it, and the two videos are similar to a scary degree. Still, I can't help but like it. Both The Fray's and Café Tacvba's.

Kanye's original video:



I've heard that Kanye's wasn't actually rotoscope, but rather animated from film, not over it, so that it appears to be rotoscope.

What do you think?
________________________________________________________________________________________

As a side note, I started an etsy account. http://10FieldDesigns.etsy.com
I've decided to start selling handmade, animation-related accessories and things. I love bringing my sketchbook everywhere, but sometimes I don't have room. I rarely dress up, but it'd be nice to have a decent-looking tote to carry around that can still hold my supplies. You know, in case the old couple in the corner of the restaurant is just begging to be drawn, as those types often are.

2 comments:

  1. I've seen Kanye's original before and thought it was nifty (news to me that its not rotoscoped, =P) but never heard The Fray's version. personally- I actually like the Fray's version of the song better. They are two totally different feels to the song, and I love the note-book paper animation in the video. It's been done loads before, besides Cafe Tacvba, but I've yet to see "eres"- I'll take your word on it being lawsuit-threateningly-similar though (haha). Awesomeness.

    Ps.-
    How'd you get two videos into one post? (is a newb when it comes to some things) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, it's OK. :) There should be a link on the posting page that says "edit html." Click that. You should be able to copy/paste your embed links into your post, as many as you'd like.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete