Wednesday, April 3, 2013

I've Been A Bit Homesick

Detroit is unlike any other place in the world. Lately, I've been missing it. This somehow made me actually finish an illustration. It needs a redo, as do most of my works, but I like the idea that I completed a painting that wasn't commission work for the first time in a while.


This is my ode to Detroit, with styling based on work by my favorite Brazilian brothers (Fábio Moon and Gabriel Bá).

EDIT, since I feel the need to explain: The figure is based on the Spirit of Detroit. There is a big statue of him downtown. The water is the river (though it should be more brown if I'm being realistic, haha), and the flowers are black-eyed susan, tulip, and marigold- three flowers that grew in my yard as a kid. The seven orbs are for being at peace.

I need to work on not treating watercolors like acrylics.



And here's a hair painting. Detroiters often have crazy hair.

1 comment:

  1. Love them both even if you're painting like it's acrylic ;)

    ReplyDelete